When you first start to explore treatment options for prostate cancer, be sure to ask your physician a number of questions before making a decision as to which option is the best for you.
So what are the most important questions that you should ask before choosing a prostate cancer treatment option?
- Which treatment option do you recommend while keeping in mind my age, overall health, and stage of cancer?
- For each treatment option, what are the benefits, costs, and possible side effects that I need to be aware of when making my decision?
- What is the likelihood that my cancer will be controlled or cured with each treatment option? (or) What is the likelihood that my cancer will continue to spread with each treatment option?
- What side effects or complications should I expect from each treatment option and what will these prevent me from doing? Working? Exercising? Enjoying hobbies?
- If I choose one of these treatment options and it fails to control my cancer, what options would I then have for further treatment?
It is crucial that you take the time to ask these five questions, as well as any others that you and your family feel are important.